Residents—please let us know if you are starting your programs back up. It would be very helpful if you could complete another Room Reservation form since the programs are limited to 17 or 20 and set ups may be different. Please submit Room Reservation forms to Nancy and Mary.
Masks: Just a friendly reminder to be sure your masks are covering both your mouth and nose at all times. Please do not pull them down to speak to others. Your mask protects others, just as others’ masks will protect you.
* June 19, 26 (Fridays) 1:30
Virtual Town Hall Meeting with Phil Burkholder, Executive Director, will take place on channel 971. Town Halls with Phil will continue LIVE each Friday at 1:30 on channel 971 until further notice. If you miss the presentation, you can watch it any time at the following link:
If the volume is too low, choose CC to turn on the closed-captioned option.
* June 19 (Friday) 10:30
Educational Film Club Discussion will take place in the Leighton Room (limit 17 attendees).
* June 19 (Friday) 10:30 (POSTPONED, date to be determined)
Graduation Celebration: (Due to inclement weather expected (Friday, June 19), we have found it necessary to postpone the parade. We will re-schedule for a date that will work for the graduates.) We are celebrating our graduates. Our graduates in their cap and gowns, will be parading around Fairhaven. We will not be able to tell you exactly what time the parade will be in your area. The vehicles, with the graduates, will drive up around Outer Drive. Please wear masks and keep social distancing while watching the parade.
* June Wellness Chat: June 20, 27 (Saturdays) at 11:00; June 24 (Wednesday) at 2:00; View on channel 970
Finding Happiness and Well-being During a Pandemic: This program will explore the ways in which we can maintain our wellbeing in the midst of the many challenges we face due to COVID-19. While there are many difficulties each of us encounter related to the pandemic, there are also a multitude of ways that we can cope with the stress and even feel happy in this moment. Please join us in learning about how you can maintain your emotional wellbeing despite the troubles we are facing. Presented by Kelly O’Shea Carney, PhD, ABBP, CMC; Corporate Director of Memory Care.
* June 20 (Saturday) 1:30
Fairhaven Opera in celebration of our new (partial) freedom presents Rossini’s Barber of Seville, one of the greatest masterpieces of comedy within music. Irrepressible Rosina refuses to marry her pompous old guardian. Meanwhile, a bold young count is eager to win Rosina for himself. And who’s going to make sure those two finish the opera united? The cleverest character in all of Seville: the barber Figaro, whose services are sought after by everyone for everything (the guy has a lot more talents than just cutting hair). Rossini’s music—the aural equivalent of champagne—is the last word in humor, inspiring smiles and laughter on every page of the score, which (still after more than 200 years) is what makes Barber the most popular of all operatic comedies. We will watch the 1989 Metropolitan Opera performance featuring Kathleen Battle as Rosina. Auditorium (limit 20 attendees)
* * * June 22 (Monday) 3:00
Comparative Religion will resume, continuing our study of The Dead Sea Scrolls. We will repeat several of the last few sessions in case anyone missed them, and also to refresh our memories of the subject. Music and Game Room (limited to 20 attendees)
* * * June 23 and 25 (Tuesday and Thursday) 12:00 on Channel 971
Enjoy “Lunch with Simon Schama” as he teaches us about The Power of Art. On June 23 he will present Picasso, and on June 25, Rothko. This series has now concluded.
* * * June 24 (Wednesday) 10:45
Music Listeners–Novelty Tunes: After being in lockdown for several weeks, it is time for us to leave captivity and listen to some music. The purpose of novelty tunes is to make you laugh or smile. Come and enjoy some fun music. Hosted by Sam Patsy. Auditorium (limit of 20 attendees)
* * * June 25, 2020 (Thursday) 10:15 on Channel 970
Bible Study: The new Bible Study Series to be aired is entitled “You’ll Get Through This” by Max Lucado. In this six-session video Bible study, bestselling author Max Lucado offers refreshing assurance for all of us in the midst of these turbulent times. Max reminds us God doesn’t promise that getting through trials will be quick or painless. It wasn’t painless for Joseph—who was tossed in a pit by his brothers, sold into slavery, wrongfully imprisoned forgotten and dismissed—but his Old Testament story is in the Bible as a reminder to trust God to trump evil. Lesson # 1 is entitled: “You’ll Get Through This.”
* * * Concierge Calls: Since Fairhaven has entered Phase I, daily calls to all residents have decreased. If you still want to receive calls, please notify Mary Boyer at ext. 3809. Let us know how often you would like to receive a call (once per week, twice per week, etc.).
If you are interested in assisting with making calls to other residents, please contact Mary.
* * * FRA Semi-annual Meeting Link: If you missed the Semi-annual FRA Meeting that took place on June 15, or would like to review it again, here is the link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLw1vGFyViCy_Fd4j_iMyGvlQjhpveFgo1
* * * FRA Board Members’ Phone Numbers: In order to facilitate the live call-in questioning process at the Friday Town Halls, here are the cell phone numbers to call or to submit text message questions:
For organizational purposes, it is still very helpful to call or e-mail questions to us before 11:00 on Thursday so that we have time to compile and organize the questions before sending them to Phil. Here are our e-mail addresses and house phone numbers:
President: Ellen Baker firstname.lastname@example.org ext. 3089
Vice President: Joan Higbee email@example.com ext. 8470
Secretary: Barbara Clagett firstname.lastname@example.org ext. 3185
Treasurer: Norm Desmarais email@example.com ext. 3118
* * * FRA Board of Directors Selection: Each year the FRA must replace the board members whose term of office is expiring. Please see the attached Board of Directors Suggestions form at the end of this bulletin to submit suggestions for 2021. Write in your selections, then detach the bottom portion and give it to a member of the FRA selection committee. The selection committee members you may give your Board of Directors suggestions to are Paul Flanagan, Joan Higbee, Ruthanne Topping, Len Hartwig, and Peggy Yaskovich.
* * * Virtual Programming Survey: We are all excited to resume live presentations and fitness classes. We also know that many of you have enjoyed the virtual programming and fitness classes that we have provided over the last 3 months. We have created a “Virtual Programming Survey” to give you the opportunity to provide feedback on which programs and fitness classes you enjoyed the most, which programs and fitness classes you would like to see continued, and what additional programs or fitness classes you would like offered.
A paper version of the survey will be distributed beginning Monday, June 22nd. You can return the survey to the resource desk downstairs. Some of you will also receive an electronic version of the survey via email from Bill Tamulonis, Director of the Acts Center for Applied Research (look for firstname.lastname@example.org via SurveyMonkey on the “from” line of the email) for those who prefer completing the survey online. Your opinions are very important to us, so please take a few minutes to share your feedback. If you have any questions, please contact Mary Boyer, Life Engagement Director at ext. 3809, or Sam Yurko, Fitness Trainer at ext. 1396.
* * * Equipment Note from Maintenance: If you have any equipment (fan, heater, etc.) that belongs to the maintenance department and you are no longer using, please call ext. 8806 to have it picked up. Thank you.
* * * Salerno’s: You may place orders each week by Tuesday at 12:00 noon. Your orders will be delivered to you on Wednesday 1:00 – 2:00 p.m. Order online at salernos.com or by calling 410-795-8400, option 4#.
* * * Basta Pasta: Order each Friday from 1:00 – 1:30 only. Your order will be delivered to you between 2:30 – 3:00. You may order online at Bastapasta.com — Choose Eldersburg location. You may also call them at 443-920-3477. If you place an order, please let Mary Boyer know so we can better plan deliveries in a timely manner.
* * * Inkling Submissions: The final deadline for submissions to the Summer/Fall 2020 issue has been set. Please email your original poem or prose to email@example.com by June 25.
* How to Identify a Local Call
Some time ago, a resident asked at an FRA meeting, how we can identify what our local calling area is. Back in the days of printed telephone directories, there was a list of the exchanges in our local calling area.
Jon Cosentini provided this website as a help:
Once on the site, enter NPA (Area Code) and NXX (exchange, i.e. 549 or 795) you are calling from.
Then enter those things for the number you want to reach, and press “SUBMIT.”
You will see a column that says “LOCAL” and it will have a Y or N.
If you check a number you have been charged for and find that it is local, let the billing office know.
*Activity Packets: Copies of activities packets by “Perk Activities,” are available on the resource desk on the ground floor of Beasman next to the mailboxes. These packets are very good for brain health. Enjoy!
* Important Notice Regarding BB&T Bank: Cheryl Wheeler and Sandy Womer are no longer located at the Eldersburg Branch. They are now working out of the Mt. Airy Branch. If you need to call them, their phone number is 1-301-829-5420. If you need to mail a deposit, the address is 443 E. Ridgeville Blvd., Mt. Airy, MD 21771.
* Mail: (Open mailboxes are temporarily closed).
If you receive mail that does not belong to you, please leave it on the resource desk on the ground floor. Also, if you notice that you have someone else’s mail after you return home, please bring it back. Because this is US Mail, we must return it to our mail carrier to lock it in the correct mailbox. Residents have reported not getting magazines, and some very important mail. We would appreciate everyone’s cooperation, so everyone receives all their mail. Thank you.
* A Note from the Main Reception Desk: If you will not be eating a meal at Fairhaven, please call ext. 8800 daily by 3:00 p.m., so your name can be placed on the “No-Meal” check list. This should prevent the follow up phone calls and a knock on your door at night. Thank you for your continued cooperation and patience.
June 19 (Friday) 5:00 p.m. Special Zoom Shabbat Gathering with Rabbi Amy Scheinerman. If you would like to join this group, call ext. 3888 by 3:00. All welcome.
June 19 (Friday) 2:30 & 7:00 p.m. – Faith and Film Televised Movie “Narnia- The Voyage of the Dawn Treader” This is the third installment of C.S. Lewis’s beloved Chronicles of Narnia that tells of a fantasy-adventure journey of the three children that will determine the future of Narnia itself. The Narnia series has been described as the modern “Pilgrims Progress” with Aslan the Lion representing Christ.
June 21 (Sunday) Third Sunday after Pentecost – Father’s Day Televised Church Service
10:30 a.m. Church Service Prelude-Special Music
11:00 a.m. Fairhaven Sunday Service with Senior Chaplain- The Rev Wayne H. Larson, Televised on Fairhaven Channel 971 with soloist/ hymn leader, Laura Miller and musician Ann Davis.
Sunday’s Bulletin can be picked up at the resource desk or the Reception desk (Nancy) or can be downloaded or viewed on Fairhaven resident’s website. Call Ellen Wiser if you can’t find a bulletin on either desk.
Remember that our Chapel is open at all times and to all residents for personal prayer and meditation. All welcome!
June 25 (Thursday) 10:00 a.m. Bible Study Series with minister/author Max Lucado. Channel 970
June 26 (Friday) 5:00 p.m. Special Zoom Shabbat Gathering with Rabbi Amy Scheinerman. If you would like to join this group, call ext. 3888 by 3:00. All welcome.
June 26 (Friday) 2:30 & 7:00 p.m. Faith and Film Televised Movie Replayed at request “I Can Only Imagine” Starring Dennis Quaid, Trace Adkins and Cloris Leachman of The Mary Tyler Moore show. One of the best faith-based movies of the decade—an inspiring true story about the award-winning MercyMe’s chart topping music crossover hit that tells of the lead singer/composer, Bart Millard’s abusive family life and the powerful story of forgiveness and redemption.
Daily at 9:30 a.m. Roman Catholic Mass is broadcast on radio FM 92.7 each morning. Call Norma Hart at ext. 8463 if you have any questions.
Sunday, June 21st
Father’s Day Brunch Menu
Meal Service will remain the same this day, but we are excited to deliver a fabulous, unbelievable Father’s Day Brunch menu. We will be offering a selection of delicious menu options including BBQ Beef Brisket and Rockfish. You will also have your choice of beer and soft pretzel & cheese dip. We wish all fathers a very Happy Father’s Day.
- Our phone system has been updated so you should not get a busy signal if we are on the phone to place your order. Please call ext. 4000 to place your lunch and / or dinner order at any time by speaking with a Dining Services team member or leaving a voicemail. The best time to call to place your order is in the morning. As a reminder, lunch orders need to be in by 10:30 am and dinner orders need to be in by 3:30 pm.
We now have an after-hours extension to call after 5:00 p.m. If you have an issue with your meal or need to speak with a dining services supervisor or manager after 5:00 p.m. call ext. 3620.
The Carroll County Public Library is open for Express Pick-up and Information Services only at this phase in their reopening. Schedule a time for Express Pickup using the form at https://library.carr.org/pickup, or call your local branch (Eldersburg) at 410-386-4460. Requests must be submitted at least one hour prior to the pickup time. The library is still not open for browsing. Please visit https://library.carr.org/coronavirus.asp for more details.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!
June 22 – June Horner, Thomas Marcellas, Barbara Eichstedt
June 27 – Mae Collisson
June 28 – Margaret Carroll, Leah Rempert
All signed submissions for the next Bulletin are due to Ricki Hunsinger no later than Tuesday at 11:00 am. All submissions must be signed. Email your submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, (preferably) or give Ricki a hard copy.
We are sorry, but we cannot accept late submissions.